Discover Individualized Rehabilitation Exercises With Our Fairfax Chiropractor
Dr. Christopher Frey is a Fairfax chiropractor who wants to see more physicians start "prescribing" exercise to their patients. Exercise is such an essential part of disease management, injury recovery, and overall quality of life! It's why rehabilitation exercises are a key component to the natural chiropractic care services he provides.
What Are Rehabilitation Exercises?
Rehabilitation exercises are exercises specifically prescribed based on a person's stage of injury—acute, subacute, and chronic. They can also be prescribed for people dealing with certain diseases or health conditions.
The number of repetitions and sets performed will vary depending on the goal of treatment and individual. For example, to accelerate tissue healing, our Fairfax chiropractor may prescribe low load (minimal to no added weight) and high volume (e.g., 2 to 3 sets of 20-30 repetitions). To improve the strength of an injured muscle, Dr. Frey may recommend 3 to 5 sets of 8-12 repetitions. To promote muscle growth (hypertrophy), he may recommend 2 to 3 sets of 4-6 repetitions.
Rehabilitation exercises may focus on one joint and one or two target muscle groups, or they may include several joints and muscle groups at once in a more "functional" type of movement. Examples include:
- "Closed chain" movements such as squats, wall push-ups, and lunges
- "Open chain" movements such as shoulder exercises and leg extensions
- Core stability exercises, such as bridges and pelvic tilts
The Benefits of Rehabilitation Exercises
Rehabilitation exercises can help in several ways:
- Decrease pain, muscle spasms, swelling, and inflammation
- Accelerate tissue healing and prevent scar tissue/fascial adhesions
- Promote tissue detoxification by increasing circulation
- Restore postural balance by improving mobility, strength, and endurance
- Prevent recurring injury by optimizing motor control, nervous system activation, and improving body mechanics
The beneficial effects of rehabilitation exercises are enhanced through other natural services, including chiropractic adjustments. After an adjustment, your body will be in a more ideal alignment and your central nervous system will be primed for action. By performing your rehabilitation exercises after an adjustment, you'll get even more out of them!
Common Conditions That Can Benefit From Rehabilitation Exercise
Exercise IS medicine! We've seen people recover from and/or manage their injuries or illnesses amazingly well thanks to the addition of rehabilitation exercises in their chiropractic plan of care. Such conditions have included:
- Whiplash and other types of acute trauma
- Sports injury (e.g., muscle strains, ligament sprains, tendonitis, and bursitis)
- Disc herniation or disc bulge
Looking for Natural Injury Recovery? Contact Circle Chiropractic Center Now
If you've been looking for the type of high quality and experienced chiropractor Fairfax VA can offer, call Circle Chiropractic Center at 703-385-2990 to schedule an initial consultation.