Whiplash is a very painful injury of the neck, and the symptoms can affect other parts of the body as well. It is most commonly due to an auto accident injury, but it can occur in other ways too. Fortunately, the professionals at Circle Chiropractic Center can treat the pain and related symptoms of whiplash.
The Causes of Whiplash
Whiplash occurs when forces push your head and neck in one direction and then suddenly in another direction. There are a few types of accidents that can cause whiplash. These include:
- Car accidents (particularly rear-end collisions)
- Being hit hard while playing contact sports
- Being shaken violently
- A slip and fall
The symptoms of whiplash can be extremely debilitating. They include:
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Pain when moving your neck
- Tenderness or pain in the upper back, shoulders, and arms
- Headaches that start at the base of the skull
- Numbness or tingling in the arms
A few less common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Blurry vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble concentrating
- Trouble focusing
- Memory issues
How Is Whiplash Diagnosed?
Your doctor will first perform a physical examination to diagnose your whiplash. During the exam, there are a few tasks that the doctor will ask you to perform. These include:
- Move your neck and shoulders to test your range of motion
- Move your neck to determine what movements cause you more pain
- Put pressure on your neck, back, and shoulders to check for pain and tenderness
- Test your reflexes
- Test the strength in your arms
After the physical exam, the doctor might order imaging tests. Such tests include:
- X-ray: X-rays can help rule out broken bones or neck dislocations.
- CT Scan: A CT scan can show any bone damage that has occurred during the accident.
- MRI: An MRI will allow your doctor to check for any soft tissue damage, such as damage to the ligaments, discs, or the spinal cord.
How Is Whiplash Treated?
Many chiropractic treatments can be very helpful in treating the pain and other symptoms of whiplash. One or more of the following treatments may be used to help your whiplash symptoms:
- Chiropractic manipulation
- Heat and cold therapy
Whiplash Treatment in Fairfax, VA
If you have been involved in an accident and are suffering from the symptoms of whiplash, schedule an appointment with Circle Chiropractic Center in Fairfax, VA. Call our chiropractor, Dr. Christopher Frey, today at (703) 385-2990 for a consultation. We will provide a thorough examination and develop a treatment plan that is designed to eliminate your whiplash symptoms.